About Me

My photo
I'm a happy wife/homemaker, married 15 years to my Handsome Honey, J. I'm homeschool mom to 2 fabulous boys, IJ and JJ. Lover of good books and great food. Most of all I'm a child of The King. This blog is about whatever is on my mind. Most often that includes my family, food and homeschooling.

Thursday, May 7, 2009

Garden Update

A couple of weeks ago I shared the beginnings of our patio garden. My mom, the green thumb of the family, has made this a project for the boys. Because we live in an apartment, everything is planted in pots and an upside down patio garden. This is just a quick update to show how things are going.

The organic salad greens are beautiful. I love these because they grow quickly and require nothing more than water and sunshine. It has been 3 weeks since the seeds were planted and I'm expecting 1-2 more until we have our first homegrown salad of the season.
The tomato plants are growing nicely. Aside from the slugs who keep eating the leaves, the plants seem to be quite healthy and strong.
I missed getting a picture of the basil and rosemary, but they are growing well also. I used the basil in my roasted vegetable pasta salad a few days ago. The leaves were large, beautiful and full of flavor. The slugs seem to agree, as they are dining on this plant as well. As for the squash, well it's not going to happen this year. One of the boys (I won't say who) thought it was dead, so he pulled the plant out. We will have to try that one again next year.

To the right are the green bean plants. The picture does not capture it, but I love how the vines are wrapping themselves around the stands. Seems they know how to stabilize themselves without any help from us. The lemon balm is growing like a weed. I need to pick some for a nice cup of tea. So far it has not attracted the bees like I expected and I am so glad for that. I'll share more when we pick the salad greens.

3 comments:

  1. Green bean plants! Sounds yummy and your garden is doing a lot better than ours did! We tried it last year, but nobody wanted to keep up with it. It was supposed to be the boys' project, but they wanted me to do the work. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you know that you can use beer to lure slugs away from you plants. They will crawl in and drown themselves. I know it sounds kind of bad, but it works.

    ReplyDelete