About Me

My photo
I'm a happy wife/homemaker, married 15 years to my Handsome Honey, J. I'm homeschool mom to 2 fabulous boys, IJ and JJ. Lover of good books and great food. Most of all I'm a child of The King. This blog is about whatever is on my mind. Most often that includes my family, food and homeschooling.

Sunday, March 1, 2009

Do You Know Who...


George Washington Carver was? How about Lonnie Johnson? "IJ" and "JJ" chose these two gentlemen to learn about for their Black History Month projects. These projects were well done. The boys presented them at a Black History Fair on last Thursday before a group of smiling homeschool students and parents.
Have you ever heard of Lonnie Johnson? If not, I'm sure you know about at least one of his inventions. It brings lots of fun to many households, especially in the summer months. "J" and I owned a pair even before we had kids. Do you know what it is?

Yes, it's the Super Soaker!
Johnson is a mathematician and nuclear engineer who has worked for various companies including NASA.

Did you know that George Washington Carver had over 300 inventions, but was not concerned with patents? This was because his purpose for inventing was to improve the lives of poor black farmers. Did you know that he turned down lucrative job offers from Henry Ford and Thomas Edison because he wanted to stay at Tuskeegee where he knew black people would receive recognition because of his accomplishments. Did you know that he was a man of God who not only taught his students about agriculture, but about the God that made it all possible? "IJ" learned all of these things and more about this very talented and creative man. Our favorite quote from Dr. Carver is "It has always been the one great ideal of my life, to be of the greatest good to the greatest number of my people."
A Black History Fair would not be complete without a Soul Food luncheon. Yes, we ate well. There was fried chicken, mac n cheese, collard greens and cornbread (our contribution) and various desserts. The best dessert by far was a sweet potato cobbler. It was off the hook! I had never had this before, but I am definately a fan. Now I've got to figure out how to make it.

3 comments:

  1. I love this post. All races have contributing something to this wonderful country. Keep up the good work in educating people who may not have the knowledge of black history.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cynthia,
    Thanks for linking up to the Titus 2 Blog party. Don't forget to write an intro/party post and link that up. This is so when the ladies come to your blog they will know that you are part of the party.

    Thanks again.

    Any question you can email me gentleshepherd2001@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pssst! I love food too! Do you really think you can figure out how to make that sweet potato cobbler? That is a recipe I would love to have! :-)
    Malana

    ReplyDelete